How To Apply
Applying for Healthy San Francisco as an Employee
After your employer successfully makes a payment to the City Option on your behalf, and the basic information they provide indicates you may be eligible for Healthy San Francisco:
- You will receive an Invitation to Apply for Healthy San Francisco in the mail, 2-4 weeks after their payment at the address provided by your employer. This Invitation to Apply does not guarantee that you qualify for the program; only that the basic information provided by your employer indicated that you are likely to qualify.
- To apply and enroll in Healthy San Francisco, you must meet with a program Certified Application Assistor in person. The Invitation to Apply will include information about whom to call and where to go to meet with a Certified Application Assistor. When you meet with the Certified Application Assistor you will be required to provide documentation that includes proof of identification, residency and income. Visit Required Documents for a complete list of what you may be required to bring. These documents are necessary to apply for Healthy San Francisco, and are important in part because they help the Certified Application Assistor determine if you might be eligible for a public health insurance program.
Healthy San Francisco is not insurance.
If you have insurance, do not drop it. Insurance is always a better choice because Healthy San Francisco has limited services and places you can go to get medical care.
- After you meet with the Certified Application Assistor, he or she will inform you whether or not you qualify for the program.
- If you qualify, you will choose a medical home where you will receive health care services. Visit the Medical Home section of this website for a list of participation medial homes. If you are required to pay a Participatn Fee, you will receive a bill in the mail within the next month. Because of your emplyer's contribution, you will receive a 75% discount on the Participation Fee.
- If you are enrolled in Healthy San Francisco, you will receive a Participant ID Card and a Participant Handbook in the mail within 2 - 3 weeks after your appointment.
- If you do not qualify for Healthy San Francisco, your employer's deposit may be transferred to a Medical Reimbrusement Account for you.